Thursday, May 19, 2011

Farmer Mac's Opening Today

I put the open signs out last night, so we are now officially open!

Mom and I were picking in the back field yesterday afternoon and there were more buckets of blueberries per row there than in our early variety. This is the earliest we've had more than a bucket of ripe berries per row in the Croatan variety at this date in the year...ever!

What this means is that we are validating my earlier posting that this will be an early start, probably early finish year. Come on out and fill up your buckets with large, sweet, juicy blueberries. They are as fine a crop right now as I've ever seen.

And I know this may be a disappointment to some of you as it is to me...Farmer Mac is penning up the chickens. He's building a nice chicken yard with a coop that they will be safe in, so it's ok. It's just, for me, they have been free to come and go as they please and sleep where they please for several years and to now restrict them to a specific area is a bit disheartening. However, I'd rather they be confined and safe than eaten alive by the wildlife.

On a lighter note, the baby chicks are growing like chicks do. As they have been well played with by all the kids on Berry Patch Road, they should be easy to catch and hold when you get here.

Hope to see you soon!
Melissa

2 comments:

  1. YES! I was wondering since we are 2 weeks ahead in the growing season this year if blueberries would be ready for picking earlier too this year. Those looking at this blog- let me tell you this place has AMAZING berries that are BIG,delicious, and freeze GREAT. I hope when we come down I see that sea of blue, I so LOVE each year. We've been driving down and picking at Farmer Mac's since 1994 I believe. My goal this year is 36 pounds since we got a new freezer.
    -Suzy in Jacksonville, NC

    ReplyDelete